Snohomish women’s run 2015

Sometimes, I really enjoy running exclusive women’s races. Yesterday was such a day. I wasn’t feeling 100% due to a cold I’ve been dealing with. I completely lost my voice the other day, and it seemed to have gotten worse yesterday. There were a few half fanatics we saw in the parking lot and they said they had seen me in a number of half races. I couldn’t respond, because my voice was so coarse. Hope I did not come across as unfriendly!

Recently with these Pacific Northwest races, we drive down very early in the morning, race and then drive back home. This is because there are not local enough races to keep up the running streak unfortunately.

I am used to such an arrangement now. It really isn’t bad at all. Plus, we save on hotel accommodation which can be totally impractical to pay just for running a half.

The race started at 8 am so I woke up at 4:45 a.m. You can tell I am an early riser. You can get so much done by waking up early. We left Vancouver at 5:30 a.m. Traffic was perfect…no traffic at all. Got there at precisely 7:15 a.m. So much more relaxed compared to last week’s race. No potty lines! However, one thing I didn’t like about this race which was similar to one I had run previously, was that the organizers charged $10 for a parking pass, while one could find free parking just up the street. Nevertheless, we weren’t the only ones who bought the passes. When it comes to convenience, runners are not very logical! 😊

It was a very organized race. There were race pacers for the 1:30 to 2:20 pace, and all were a very friendly and cheerful bunch. Each of them was wearing their hot pink pacer shirts, so you definitely couldn’t miss them.

In addition to the half marathon, there was a 10km race as well. They went out with us but turned at about our mile 4. The route was quite plain and boring. Not much to it in terms of scenery. It was totally flat and quite rural. For me, I prefer to run on a course with some hills. Flat just doesn’t challenge me anymore.

Because of my cold, my breathing was a bit off especially towards the later miles. It took much more effort running towards the end.

Luckily I got encouragement from the faster runners to keep pushing. Very friendly runners. An all-women’s race seems so much calmer and everyone is so orderly. We were told to stay on the left the whole way through, and not one single runner broke the rule.

Oh, I have to mention there was one cute couple. The husband (I am guessing) was wearing a kilt with a white shoulder-length wig and was running beside his wife. I had seen him before in other all ladies’ races. Quite entertaining!

For this race, I was aiming for a higher age group placing, but guess today was not my day. It was all good. Considering how sick I was, I am glad to have finished the race!

I will be putting my emphasis back into a full marathon soon. That’s the beauty of this sport, you can go back and forth between distances.

I don’t know when I will take a break from this craziness. But so far this craziness has propelled me to keep setting goals. Sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do! Life is too short, so let’s live and be a little crazy!!! Or…. very crazy!!

By: Mabel Fong

race medal

race medal


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: